Saturday, March 14, 2009

Taboo

As I have been going through this experience, it seems that the whole idea of miscarriage is taboo. It is like a secret club that you really don't want to be a member of. You have a miscarriage and suddenly there are people telling you about their experiences with miscarriage. It is like all of a sudden you are able to handle these stories. I believe that if women and men could be open about it and it were spoken about, it could be handled so much better.
I went to the library to get some books out about miscarriage. I didn't want to buy them because I just didn't want to dwell, I wanted to read and then give it back. Well, the library had maybe 2 books and one of them was from 1972. The bookstores are not much better, they have 1 book stocked if that, otherwise you have to order on-line and there still are not that many.
John and I are going to therapy and I said to the therapist how little information there was out there and she agreed. The support groups are also few and far between. We have to travel about 30 minutes if we want to get to one. They are also so broad covering early pregnancy loss to early infant loss. I feel they are all different and the groups should be split up.
I wish that people could speak about this more openly. It is a terrible thing, but if people are open about it, more people would understand and be able to handle it better. It happens to so many women that it is actually frightening. I can count 9 out of 11 girls I know that it has happened to. It seems like a whole lot more than 1 in 4.
I am going to talk to my therapist some more about this, she did say she wanted to talk about it at a later time. I wonder if she has a thought of something I can do. I wonder if I will be able to do something. Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment